Welcome!!! This is the wiki to collaborativelly develop a "dimmons" (digital common resource) that systematize lessons and reflexions on digital commons and collaborative communities funtioning (mainly around dynamics of participacion, susbtainability and over all commons frame, but not only). This process started "offline" with the celebration of the International Forum on Building Digital Commons and collaborative communities event 29 & 30 of October 2011 in Barcelona. At this point, this wiki is used to documente and systematize the knowledge generated in the event and the building of a "How to Manual on Digital Commomns" to be spread; once this is done, it will remain as a permanent working progress mode to further develop the resource.
Engage & Enjoy! Dimmons Collaborative Community
Documentation of the Forum "Building Digital Commons and Collaborative Communities" (29 & 30 of October 2011 - Barcelona & Online):
- 1 What was the dimmons forum about
- 2 Collection of notes
- 2.1 Delivery of the Viquifabricació prizes by Amical Viquipedia
- 2.2 Facts and research on participation in collaborative communities
- 2.3 Improving Participation and Engagement in collaborative communities
- 2.4 Mapping free culture and digital commons and strategic political debate on the commons
- 2.5 Systematization of knowledge, formation and action research: Schools of commoning
- 2.6 Giving visibility and building alliances of Digital Commons. Project: Move Commons
- 2.7 Building alliances at the local level: Catalan case
- 2.8 Economy of the commons
- 2.9 Promoting the dialogue between the cooperative tradition and digital commons
- 2.10 Synthesis of the over all Forum on Building Digital Commons
- 3 Post-Forum Action Research: Survey & Reader
- 4 Getting started editing wikis
What was the dimmons forum about
- Participants Info kit explaining the program Infokit
Collection of notes
PAD with notes taken during the whole Dimmons Forum: https://quadpad.lqdn.fr/Commons-notes
|Saturday 29th October||Session topic|
|13h||Delivery of the Viquifabricació prizes by Amical Viquipedia|
|15-17h||Facts and research on participation in collaborative communities|
|17:15 – 19:15h||Improving Participation and Engagement in collaborative communities|
|Sunday 30th October|
|9:30 – 11:15h||Mapping free culture and digital commons and strategic political debate on the commons|
|11:30 - 13-30h||Systematization of knowledge, formation and action research: Schools of commoning|
|11:30 - 13-30h||Giving visibility and building alliances of Digital Commons. Project: Move Commons|
|12:30 - 13:30h||Building alliances at the local level: Catalan case|
|14:30 – 16:30h||Economy of the commons|
|17 – 19h||Promoting the dialogue between the cooperative tradition and digital commons|
|19:30h||Synthesis of the over all Forum on Building Digital Commons|
Delivery of the Viquifabricació prizes by Amical Viquipedia
Facts and research on participation in collaborative communities
With inputs by Erik Zachte (Wikimedia Foundation – Data Analyst) on evolution of participation in wiki communities; Marc Miquel (Amical Viquipedia – Editors Survey) on sociological base of contributors; Mako Benjamil Hill (Free Software Foundation Board member, researcher at MIT and Berkman center); and, David Laniado (Barcelona Media) on wikis and emotions. Facilitation of the session by Eduard Aibar (Open University of Barcelona).
Marc Miquel's intervention: According to two surveys on Catalan Wikipedia and the sum of all Wikipedias: - The ratio between men and women is 96 to 4%. We discuss the reasons why this is happening and how it could change. Marc: there are motivation studies which prove that ideology is an important source of motivation, at least necessary. I do not know if it is the same compelling to women. In my opinion, the user interface and the way an editor gets in the community and starts writing articles can be harsh too. "Automatic deletion". This throws you back sometimes. We all agree that there should be easier an easier way. Somebody said that administrators can be 'bossy' sometimes. David Laniado says there is research at the moment on gender issues in Wikipedia.
- The age of the editors is preferably young. 50% of the Catalan community is between 12 and 26, and 75% for the global. This means that Wikipedia is made by people with studies. Marc: one of the reasons people use Wikipedia for is to get information for their current study. Therefore it is not strange that they create something they can use. phD only contribute a 4,5 %, while people with secondary education is the 33,45%. - Wikipedia is mainly done by periods of time from one hour or less and from one hour to five a week.
Marc: in my opinion, when creating a digital community we have to take into account that the potential peers are going to be young men with studies. That must be considered when selecting the goal or topic. However, and Joan Gomà from Amical Viquipèdia can give good prove of this, communities can grow in many different ways. Catalan Wikipedia is broader in age because of their extra-virtual activities. So one piece of the puzzle to strenght the community and expand it may be to have real encounter and street activities. - Eduard Aibar: one of the overall ideas that I like most is that users/editors create Wikipedia because they consider it useful.
Joan Goma intervention: The forum has several goals. I am personally interested in the goal of building communities. I am very worried about the evolution of the team of wikipedia editors. In Catalan Wikipedia we are growing slowly but this grow i the result of a “natural” decline hidden by about 50 new editors recruited every month trough many activities. So if we relied only on Internet we were in a clear decline.
I hope that in this forum we will go a step further from analyzing the situation and hypothesizing about its possible causes. This has already been done for example in documents like: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CNK2oI8G&key=0Aq_nhKkb7L-OdFdzTG1KTUxVeXBOS0hhdWZMVmtxNUE&hl=en&authkey=CNK2oI8G#gid=0
I would like to end with a list of concrete proposals to boosts the editing community. Then we will apply those ideas in Catalan Wikipedia. I think Catalan wikipedia is big enough to suffer the same phenomena than in larger ones but it is small enough and has a cohesionated team of editors open to accept experiments. Later by measuring the situation before and after each experiment perhaps we can write a draft “how to” on growing wikipedia editorial community. (perhaps applicable to any free digital commons building community)
We have invited people from other free knowledge and software communities from whom we think we can learn and also people from wikimedia movement we think they have experiences and ideas that can help.
Mako's intervention: Two videos which you can download here: The first is mako, talking, with decent (and separately recorded) audio. The second is a recording of my slides. http://epicenter.media.mit.edu/~mako/digcom/hill-digcom-talking_head.ogv http://epicenter.media.mit.edu/~mako/digcom/hill-digcom-slides.ogv They are synced up. If you start them AT THE SAME TIME on two different screens, they will play perfectly. The slides video is timed to advance along with the the other one.
Improving Participation and Engagement in collaborative communities
Notes working group discussions around a common scheme of issues to reflect upon and collaborative writing:
Experience - Wiki Loves Monuments Reasons of suggests: A lot of levels and type of participantion (people contacting autorities, people laking to walk though the city and take pictures, looking for sponsors, etc.).
Experience - 100 fundamental articles: Consensuated in Meta. Different levels (correcting authority, translating to other languages, etc). It lasted for several months and it was a big suggest.
Good to offer opportunities to participate in different ways and levels.
In Wikipedia is very good where to contribute.
Goma: In FLOSS there is also a distribution of work.
How Wikipedia could learn from the readers/users? Information gived by readers. Using users foodprint as detecting oportuinities and failure. Compering number of readers of an article in different languages as a sign of quality.
Hilary: Ecology of participation.
Level of participation
What motivates people?
- Self-satisfaction thru' community
- Social recognition
- Finding a peer group
- Political agenda
- Learning & teaching
- Contribute to knowledge
How to keep people motivated
- Make them feel they are not alone. Make them notice they are useful.
- Encourage people about their work (social recognition).
- Make contributions (numbers) more visible.
However, we also noticed that.
- We don't fully know. We should research about (surveys? profiles mining?)
- We should acknowledge different motivations, which can lead to equally successful product and social outcomes.
- At the same time, we should 'assimilate' all different kinds of motivations to an own project agenda.
- Introduce the figure of facilitator / mentor (or more properly motivator, in order to keep people motivated).
Welcoming new participants
- don’t bite new users
- assume good faith
- people feel intimidated
- build communities that are not scary for new people
- bring people together (favorite phrase: "my mum in the hackers' area")
- spanish/catalan difference trusted user/newbie
- how to become a trusted user in communities?
- give choices to participants
- physical and virtual spaces
- build spaces or safe rooms for new participants
- more real world meetings
- people’s behavior changes after they met each other
- encourage people and help with the first steps
- best practices:
- tutorials in spanish wikipedia
- experienced users offer their help (but the page is hard to be found)
- mentoring programs
- we ask too much from new participants, everything has to be tidy at the first approach
- short explanations
- are new users really wanted?
- invitations maybe help, use different wording and images for different groups
- do not evangelize
- talk about the values not the problems
- real life meetings
- short hand-outs to find the entrance
- new funny amazing ways to tell the story of the project
- different methods for different users
- more exchange between different communities
Proposed experiments to be carried on in Catalan Wikipedia
Mapping free culture and digital commons and strategic political debate on the commons
- Book presentation - "Free Knwoledges"
Lighting talk of cases:
- OpenStreetMap: OpenStreetMap Presentation
Other materoials: slideshare.net/ivansanchezortega Vídeo del ITO sobre Haiti: http://vimeo.com/9182869 http://www.kindle-maps.com/blog/kindle-specific-map-style.html <http://www.openstreetmap.es/wp-content/uploads/osmdeusto2011/> <http://maps.cloudmade.com/editor> <http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlemap&lon=-0.87873&lat=41.65628&zoom=17> http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapnik&mt1=googlemap&lon=2.18566&lat=41.38748&zoom=16
Introduction to next sessions:
- Marco Berlinguer will introducte the following session on School of commoning
- Samer the session on Move commons
- Joan Goma the session of building local alliances.
Systematization of knowledge, formation and action research: Schools of commoning
- Schools of the commons (UK and Catalan)
- P2P University
- Media Lab Prado – Procomun Lab and wiki schools.
Questions to be addressed:
1) How and since perspective the relation between commons can be thought and education? 2) What methodology of learning you develop to your experiences? As you articulate regulated and not regulated formation? 3) What sustainability model you are developing? 4) What other experiences you have mapped or you know that they are working on education in commons?
Examples of iniciatives:
- Schools of the commons (UK)
- Escola dels communs Catalan)
- P2P University
- Media Lab Prado – Procomun Lab
- Wiki schools
- School of the open (Creative Commons)
- Free Technology Academy
- Do you know one?
Giving visibility and building alliances of Digital Commons. Project: Move Commons
- Pad with notes on the session: https://quadpad.lqdn.fr/Commons
- Presentation of Move Commons (in Prezi)
- Move Commons preview
- Video with in-depth explanation of MC implications (Spanish)
- Move Commons implications listed
Building alliances at the local level: Catalan case
(Session in Catalan)
Notes session: El que va surtir va ser crear una plataforma a nivell catala (Dimonis Comuns) per articular el coneixement lliure a Catalunya.
Economy of the commons
Systematize forms and formulas for individual and collective sustainability of collaborative creation and political economy discussion.
Session facilitated by Enric Senabre (Goteo) and Olivier Schulbaum (Platoniq). Input by Verkami: Crowdfunding’ for the lovers of creation.
Dinamica: (fruto de un trabajo anterior de Olivier con Bawens)
1) Presentamos el mapa actualizado basado en http://prezi.com/hju4dwua2lu4/open-business-plan-for-a-productive-commons/
2) Reforzamos ideas que son tb el core de Goteo: no sólo pensar en lo monetario, hibridación de partners y donors de todo tipo, papel de retornos y recompensas.
3) Dividimos el grupo en dos, cada uno moderando por Olivier y Enric: unos rol de creación de commons (y qué pueden ofrecer a donors/participantes) otro rol de donors/participantes (y qué pueden pedir a creadores de commons)
4) Los grupos tienen que proponer/imaginar/recuperar ejemplos prácticos de cada cosa (y si quieren subdividirse guai, para concretar más), con dinámica postits sobre espacios separados para cada uno de los grupos
5) Puesta en común de lo propuesto en cada grupo, idealmente con gente que no seamos ni Olivier ni yo
6) Debate abierto sobre implicaciones, derivadas, problemas etc moderado pero free ride
1) Hablando sobre Viquiescoles, proyecto elegido. Los profesores deberían promover la participación por parte de los alumnos en la enciclopedia.
2) Financiación de European Union , Organizaciones Transpirineos, Comunitad de Trabajos de los Pirineos.
3) Fundación da dinero a Wikimedia y Wikipedia para fomentarlas. Trabajar para el financiamento público, por parte de las entidades y cominidad patronal.
4) Las escuelas pagan, los padres también.
5) Recompensas: con el Crowdfunding ganamos reconocimiento, buscamos financiamento y a quienes nos financian les damos reconocimiento. Asistir a la ceremonia de entrega de premios.
6) Esponsorizar algun tipo de actividades en los cursos.
Meta Cooperative (of Consum) of the Commons
Promoting the dialogue between the cooperative tradition and digital commons
Cross dialogues between cooperativist and digital commoners: Notes
Synthesis of the over all Forum on Building Digital Commons
By Joan Subirats (IGOP)
Post-Forum Action Research: Survey & Reader
Son dos por cuestiones técnicas de enlaces entre nuestra web y Flikr
fotos publicadas en nuestra web: http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagenenaccion/sets/72157628005474814/ http://imagenenaccion.org/amical-vikipedia-global-forum/
fotos extras (no publicadas): http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagenenaccion/sets/72157627880837923/
A questioners & interviews to participants is being and will be deplyed previous to the event (in the line of this methodology that was developed in previous events such as the questioner on [Free and open infrastructure].
As part of the event, a basic reader with few key readings will be provided to the on and off participants on the topics of the event.
Please suggest other content you might consider also relevant to be included.
Key readings on: Participation in online communities:
- State of the art on participation dynamics in online communities
Key readings on Commons
- Map on the new commons by Charlotte Hess: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1356835
- Collective interview to the Strategic Commons Group (David Bollier, Michel Bauwens & Silke Helfrich).
- Presentation of the project: School of the commons
Key readings on: Sustanibility of collaborative creation
- Goteo analysis
Key readings on: Dialogue between the cooperative social economy tradition and common-based peer production
- El quart impuls: Cooperativisme Treball immaterial Creativitat Territori per Ivan Miró i Acedo (versió integra del publicat a Nexe 26): http://recercaautonoma.blogspot.com/2011/01/el-quart-impuls.html
- Nueva Economía 20+20 - Escuela de Organizacion Industrial: http://www.eoi.es/savia/pubman/faces/viewItemFullPage.jsp?itemId=eoi:52006:7
20+20 Economía Social http://www.eoi.es/savia/pubman/faces/viewItemFullPage.jsp?itemId=eoi:45642:20
Publico blog: Faves comptades by Joan Subirats: http://blogs.publico.es/joan-subirats/
The new issue of the Wikimedia Research Newsletter: http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/11/02/wikimedia-research-newsletter-october-2011/#In_brief
Getting started editing wikis
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.